Tuesday, 27 November 2012

Life Changing Trips and Not Showering

Tomorrow marks the start of a potentially life changing trip, involving not showering for up to 2 weeks! The trip will be chemically induced though, mileage next to nothing and the showering just being banned until I have some stitches out.

Being diagnosed with a neurotic left foot of the Morton's variety was a bit of a relief, representing light at the end of a tunnel that has gone on for over a year now. The pain has ranged from mild to severely debilitating, waking me in my sleep, being unable to walk properly at all at times (at times being, sometimes for several hours through the day, not a once a week type of thing), and has given me some appreciation for the struggles and frustration less able people may experience.

So tomorrow I will have a small op, the nerve to the insides of two toes being removed, and the calcareous cover the nerve has created to protect itself being 'pinged' out (that's a technical term, used by the very nice doctor). My toes will be numb but with an 80% chance of success I am hopeful that this will be a new lease of life, enabling me to start to engage with my environment more, rather than being stuck on the periphery, watching. I will be able to go hiking with Thomas again, to explore Oslo more, to meet friends for coffee, and be able to attend interviews without being distracted by horrendous pain.The prospect of being pain free is giving me renewed confidence and feelings of positivity generally; amazing the effect something like this has.

I don't know if I'll write up a trip report; the effects may continue for a few months to come as the foot starts to return to normal size and I can once again get normal footwear on, or maybe having to redefine what is the new normal for me. It may involve Crocs! But whatever, I shall be glad and thankful to move on. It feels as if life is starting for me in Norway, all over again.

13 comments:

  1. That's great, Helen (well, you know what I mean...) - good luck, hope it goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Good luck for tomorrow. You'll be tramping around again before you know it, I'm sure. Irrepressible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope it goes perfectly and you heal quickly. I want to read your hiking stories again!


    As someone with diabetic neuropathy (haven't felt my feet in two years) that often brings great pain I have some notion of what you're going through. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very good news. Chin up! Be brave! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this was something totally different than I expected, I was sitting back with cup of tea thinking it will be all about outdoors. So sorry to hear about your painful experiences and like you said, hopefully this will be a new start!! God bedring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck Helen, I hope it goes well and you get out hiking again soon. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope this brings you the relief you are after. I still remember how great it was to finally get a diagnosis for my ligament after 6 months of pain and not really being able to walk anywhere. It took a year to get back to where I wanted to be fitness wise but it was worth taking it slow if at times frustrating. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great news - a positive diagnosis and ensuing op. Be strong through it all. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck Helen, all the best

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your best wishes and support! I'm doing alright I think, the pain meds are working (perhaps too well?) and I'm gently putting weight on my foot when up and about, although most of the time I'm being treated like Lady Muck by Thomas :)
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete